Thursday, October 26, 2006

Walking

Waves crash past the stack, the rock
jilts out into the ocean and white stallions
force their might over it,
while i sit with him, sun on our faces
as we look out into the blue ocean.

A mother runs with her giggling child
as the waves move in further than expected,
Trousers rolled up, now edged with the sea
And with their laughter
And he places his arm around me, safe

A sleeping dragon lies behind us, the rock face
houses the Kite which flies above,
and as we walk up high, then higher, then higher still
i become small, a dot
on the great landscape of this earth
which is beautiful,
and wild
and home.

I remember walks from long ago,
How much i wanted to return home
and not be faced with this vast expanse
of air, and life and perspective
Whereas now i could stay forever
in this place, and remain identity-less
and without the mirrors of other faces and realities

This world is truly beautiful,
And how much it has to offer us
There's so much colour in the landscape of my soul
when i rest in this place
everything is suddenly possible again,
And i'm alive with it
A world of art born again inside me

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the imagery in this poem, especially the last few lines..."when i rest in this place
everything is suddenly possible again,
And i'm alive with it
A world of art born again inside me"
Like the waves rushing through your soul! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Robin said above! I also like your line about how much you want to return home. You can almost feel the pull of the waves as they retreat back to the sea and with them, you long to be taken to a previous time. The poem feels like it’s shortly before nightfall. I see long shadows. Perhaps its just me.
P.S. I sent you an e-mail a few days ago . . .

desert rat said...

Mmm, I love being by the ocean. I wish I could visit it more often. We've got Lake Ontario nearby but it's not quite the same thing.

Anonymous said...

there is such vitality in these words!

Foto Man said...

i just luv it . the description of the waves , the rock . So vivid . Bravo !

Anonymous said...

I love your words and where they take me..the color in the landscape of my soul..just beautiful..thank you for sharing..m

Anonymous said...

Start Point is a magical place, so untouched and tranquil; all that is left is you and the ocean gazing into the realm of possibility. A healing process was made that day, a moment where only that that matters was in focus, and now that you have seen it, will you embrace it?

Our surroundings have a stronger affect on our sympathy and compassion than expected. So, perhaps when we are next faced with a dilemma we should seek out a change of scenery to allow a broader perspective.

I love the poem, Nat, and look forward to reading more.

yioeng said...

great poem... i think it's powerful enough to lead the reader in every single scenery you are describing...

sam of the ten thousand things said...

I enjoyed reading your work Natalie. Thanks for the post.

Kerria Japonica said...

Great poem Natty! I think a poet has been born from the blogging world. Wow, I love it.