Monday, October 09, 2006

Eyes That Shimmer

How you look at me with those eyes,
Child-like, smiling, reflecting my face in their squinting happiness,
Just a glimpse before you lower your head, hide from my gaze.
Can i box those moments up please and carry them with me?
A friend for my lonely soul.

How you pierce me with that fragile face,
A wide eye of fear and love, emptying you out, bottomless, void,
And it draws you closer to me, and i pull you in, shield you from all that torments you,
And a tear rises up from my heart.

How expansive is my future when i look into your eyes,
Light-filled, deep red and dark blue
And i ride the wave onto new shores which lie far from this place.
An ocean travelled, the distance between my love and me.

10 comments:

Susannah Conway said...

this is so lovely, sweetheart, and a touch bittersweet... x

Anonymous said...

beautiful, natalie...

Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely, sad poem. I love the last line.

... Paige said...

Quite intriguing, flows nicely, and very visual for me. I wonder though, in the 3rd stanza, what are you referring to as "deep red"?

nosthegametoo said...

Sometimes I wish eyes could shimmer forever. I wonder why some eyes gleam more than others? I wonder why eyes that shine sometimes lose their luster?

I enjoyed your poem very much. Thank you for sharing.

http://consciouslylivingadream.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

really gorgeous sweetie.

Admin said...

i love your profile pic!!! and amazing writing!

Madeleine said...

Nat, i love this. i know this voice so well and the story it carries so well.
this is beautisful and bittersweet. those eyes, those eyes......they say everything.

this really is a lovely piece of writing, dear sister.

god, this has taken me back to a place and time.

i love you.

your sis,
Mad
xxxx

Tim Rice said...

Touching. It speaks deeply to the soul. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

"An ocean travelled, the distance between my love and me." God! Doesn't it feel that way? Our journey is the effort to close that gap. Sail on girl!
Dennis --