Thursday, November 02, 2006

I Dreamt of My Birth

The full, fat moon moves across the sky while i sit,
the cool light reflecting on the pane of glass
which also reflects my face,
and the tree which sways in the wind not far from me.

Behind me dark walls of shabby, old wallpaper
Are being stripped off,
more quickly now.
My father helps to peel off the old remains,
My mother bustles in, forms the family i have become a part of,
strange and new.

I am soothed,
As what was sombre brown is becoming white at last.
I wish and i wish again,
For it to be complete,
This process of rejuvenation and of newness, wholeness.
Thank you.

The child who has sat darkly within my heart is quiet now,
not needing to talk, but watching, and waiting.
Because she knows now that her birth is imminent,
that she can go and hug that man who busies himself behind her,
And embrace the mother who feels the need now to be by her side.

Happy birthday my child, she says,
Of course your time is almost here,
or else what would be the point?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie: I love this line "The child who has sat darkly within my heart is quiet now, not needing to talk, but watching, and waiting." Your observation that the child sits darkly is brilliant. Your poem speaks to me of cleansing, reunion and something else I can't quite capture with words. I enjoyed this. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I also loved that line, "the child sits darkly". I also really like that you are so able to convey the dreaminess in the poem, it's like getting to peek into your sleeping mind.

Kerria Japonica said...

Kerry the dream analyst says:
You are healing your emotional self of your past experiences, and your real-time connections to your parents are helping you to do this. You are also healing physically.

You always express these things beautifully sweetie, it is amazing what messages your dreams send to you x

Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie,
Thank you for your wonderful comment on my post about my mother, and adding my link to your list. I really enjoyed the dreaminess of your poem and I'd say the birthing is internal as well. It speaks of the hopefullness and excitement yet to be born. Beautiful words.