Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Poetry Thursday: If The Walls Could Talk...

I thought that this was a great idea for poetry thursday, an immediate stepping stone into the realm of the imagination, something you could really get your teeth into. I'm certainly looking forward to reading other people's ideas this week, and wanted to note how great an idea i think poetry thursday is in order to get people blogging, writing, creating. I welcome feed back on this, be it a critique or not, as long, of course, as its constructive criticism, or else i'm not sure there's much point. Mostly i have found that visitors are hugely inspiring and positive in their comments, which can only be a good thing. So thank you. I will endeavour to do the same for others. My poem is influenced this week by Sting. There is a clear poetic slant to many of his songs, which has fed my work.

If the walls could talk,
A witness they would make
Of the light and the dark of this small person
who resides within them, from day to daybreak.

They might act as judge to this defendant,
The same old trial underway,
Ask the same old questions,
and face the same denial.

They might note, for the record,
the dark places i fear,
the dreams i have yet to fulfill,
the shadows which a dark ship steer.

They might note how much i failed to trust you,
How i clung to my addictions,
carried my tombstone on my back,
ran to escape my afflictions.

Or they might take into account
the deeper motivations of my acts,
see the light which springs from all of them,
see a soul enrapt

With the gratitude of having known
that even when running from the tide,
these mistakes were learning tools,
these mistakes stopped me from finding a place to hide.

So that when the prosecution rests,
And the jury now is out,
These walls have finally to confess,
That they were always, in fact, right by my side.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie – Some strong testimony on your own behalf! Based on the evidence presented, I believe the jury would return a verdict of “HUMAN!” Which of course is a fine judgment for anyone.

There’s so much to like in this piece. Each stanza is strong and almost tells its own story. My favorite is:

They might act as judge to this defendant,
The same old trial underway,
Ask the same old questions,
and face the same denial

This stanza says so much about life and the circles we turn unknowingly.
Lovely. Keep writing!!

ren powell said...

The ending took me a bit by surprise. I liked that a lot.

Jon said...

By the time the downward movement of this culminated in:

They might note how much i failed to trust you,
How i clung to my addictions,
carried my tombstone on my back,
ran to escape my afflictions.

I was dreading what might be next. Brilliantly, though, just when the tension was becoming unbearable, you turned everything by beginning the following stanza with "Or". I still didn't know where this was headed, but it lightened the load just enough. And, like ren.kat, I was still surprised, happily surprised, by the ending.

A good poem. Thanks for sharing it.

yioeng said...

hey natalie, i haven't followed the prompt, but the poems i read were quite interesting. A couple from the few i so far read, were dealing with the theme considering the "potentially- talking" walls as cell- walls. In urs i like that they are some kind like what Romans consider about the people are when they are born..."tabula rasa"(i honestly don't know how to write it) which means "blank paper". I like that they are getting formed by what they see in the person living amongst them and they get attributes in occasions... Except for that, i like that there's a stong feeling of consistent contradiction through the lenght of ur poem... I guess, i already analyzed enough, (i hope not more than enough) so i'll just say that i think u get it that i liked ur poem

Anonymous said...

A witness they would make Of the light and the dark of this small person who resides within them

and

How i clung to my addictions, carried my tombstone on my back

Are just some very lovely phrasing choices you made here. But that second one is simply superb.

Rethabile said...

Fighter of evil? Tell me more. Heck, there's so much of it today that I feel fighters like us are losing. Nice words.

Natalie said...

Thanks rethabile for your comment. When i say i fight evil i think i mean that i see myself facing my own fear a lot, and i am always endeavouring to overcome it and release it from me. A fundamental process in everyone's life i guess. The world around us is our mirror. What we face is ourselves, in reality. And to make that world one which is full of light is my ultimate aim. Thanks again. Natalie

Admin said...

my new blog:
www.vespersescape.wordpress.com