Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Poetry Thursday: Solitude


When i was little my father used to read Winnie the Pooh to me. How English. He used to work abroad and when he went away he would send us recordings of him reading it so we could still hear his voice. (And of course, Pooh wouldn't like to be forgotten). The author who wrote the book also wrote poetry, including a book called 'Now We Are Six' which was specifically for children. I still have the book now, its pages tattered and falling out, my name written by my mother on the first page, when she was so much younger than she is now. These things are so precious. The book exudes my energy simply from being a part of my life for so long, as if it absorbed part of me as things do when you are in possession of them for so long. I always find it remarkable how we attach to things we have owned when we are little, how we make comments like, 'Oh my god, i can't believe i still have this', or 'I remember that!', as if it has formed part of our identity almost. Perhaps it's because we are so much more in touch with ourselves in a very simple way when we are young, and our judgements of what is good or bad or morally acceptable or stylisticlaly fashionable don't get in the way. We just accept. How wonderful.

Solitude

I have a house where i go
When there's too many people
I have a house where i go
Where no one can be;
I have a house where i go,
Where nobody ever says 'No'
Where no one says anything - so
There is no one but me.

This is a poem from this very same book, and i loved re-reading this. The child has found a place of solitude in their garden, and escapes there. For me this made me think of the place i can go to in my head where there is always peace, (or is it my heart), where there is also no one saying 'No', where no one can be (except me), which is my house and my home; a very precious and well protected space. I love the simplicity of this idea and how for me it relates to so much more than a place, but more a space. When i was little i used to spend hours on our swing in the garden, swinging all day sometimes it felt like, uninterrupted and alone with my thoughts. I need to get another swing... Because this is a space to be nurtured and where we can create, where we can be ourselves without the pressures and busyness of our world. In 'Conversations with God', God says,

"Begin by being still. Quiet the outer world, so that the inner world might bring you sight. This in-sight is what you seek, yet you cannot have it while you are so deeply concerned with your outer reality. Seek, therefore to go within as much as possible. And when you are not going within, come from within as you deal with the outside world. Remember this axiom:
If you do not go within, you go without'.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I adore A.A. Milne- thank you for reminding me.

Anonymous said...

Natalie - What an absolutely delightful snapshot of your past and insight into who you are. Your post is a beautiful and moving piece of prose. Just lovely.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to stop by and thank you so much for reading my poem of last week.
I loved your post. When my sister and I were young, my Mom never read books like Winnie the Pooh or any childrens books.
She wanted us to advance in reading and thought by reading us books like Treasure Island we would grow as readers.
Well it worked but I think if we were read Goodnight Moon we still would have been ok.

Always let your children be children first. It lasts a lifetime.


bd

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, Natalie. Brings back a great memory of my daughter's (also named Natalie) third birthday (she's almost 14 now). Her birthday cake was decorated with Pooh, Tigger, and a tree made of icing on top. When she saw it, she scrutinized it for a moment, looking left to right back to left, then said, "Where's Pig-a-let?" Piglet was always her favorite character and that's how she always said it, "Pig-a-let." So sweet! I loved reading to my daughters when they were young!

I've also read "Conversations with God." I like that quote. I find that when I give the first five minutes each morning (if that's all I can spare) to silence, that deep place of peace within, the day flows so much more freely.

Kerria Japonica said...

God that takes me back! Just like you said. These are the ones I remember the most:

When I was One,
I had just begun.

When I was Two,
I was nearly new.

When I was Three,
I was hardly me.

When I was Four,
I was not much more.

When I was Five,
I was just alive.

But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever.
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.

And:

Let it rain!
Who cares?
I've a train
Upstairs
With a brake
Which I make
From a string
Sort of thing
Which works
In jerks,
'Cos it drops
In the spring,
Which stops
With the string
And the wheels
All stick
So quick
That it feels
Like a thing
That you make
With a brake,
Not string....,

So that's what I make
When the day's all wet.
It's a good sort of brake
But it hasn't worked yet.

They really are special these poems. So much meaning packed into short phrases and so brilliant for children to read. Hope I always remember that child within, if not, how could be an adult?

xx

Anonymous said...

Natalie - Thanks for stopping by today and honoring me with your thoughts. I left you some gratitude :-p

Anonymous said...

I like the affirmative approach in the poem Natalie: "I have a house where i go, / Where nobody ever says 'No'." The yes is what the child's self needs. Too often the imagination is stunted by everyone who surrounds us. And the self needs space, especially when its young.

Thanks for the post.

yioeng said...

that's such a remarkable post, memories from back when we were really young follow us all the way...
you made me recall the fact that when i was about four i used to wander around not letting a small blanket of mine go for any case... of course that's what my parents say cause i can't actually have a clear memory from back then.. i hope you still have the tapes cause i really wish sometimes i had that blanket

Anonymous said...

Natalie, just wanted to thank you for reading my poem. I'm glad you liked it. This weeks Poems should be fun. Hope I see you there.


-bd