Thursday, September 14, 2006

Thank you, my love

Is it ok to slip into the shoes of another of my selves? Here isn't a place that i go very often, and i realise that i should more. Expressing love isn't half as easy as expressing fear, not for me anyway. As i've heard the lyrics of love songs and lines of love poetry, i've always thought it was too hard for me to be able to express that kind of stuff without feeling plain stupid. I have incorporated the style of other poets in my piece, but it's a mish mash and has no single inspiration.

Thanks for looking at me not through me
I need a love like that
There's a little sun on my back
As i laugh your laugh and cry your tears

Thanks for putting my world at stake
Suddenly
I need a love like that
There's some rain to quench my thirst
Even though i teeter on the verge of everything

Thanks for turning my castles to sand
I need a love like that
As i see your soul older than the ocean
There's a breath of wind through an empty desert

Thanks for loving my light and loving my dark
I need a love like that
To open up my past
And cast out the deep shadows of the earth

Thanks for enjoying and not competing
I need a love like that
So when the stars all burn away
The love we've shared stays forever
In everything

7 comments:

Susannah Conway said...

sweetheart, that is just so gorgeous... i think we all wish for a love like that... i'm so pleased you have uncovered it :- xx

M said...

This is beautiful, Natalie. I love it! So real. I find fear harder to express than love, so maybe I'll try a poem about that. Thanks for the ideas!
And thanks for linking me up! You're going on my list too, when I get a chance.

Jim Brock said...

This works so well as a song, and should be what more songs aspire to. I am captivated immediately by the opening, that sly difference between at and through. I'm so with the poem thereafter.

Darrin said...

For sure its a song . . if you know someone that plays Guitar, you should consider doing a little diddy with it . . Perhaps when I am there in October we can get drunk and work on it . . :)

lisrobbe said...

Great expression of love. I too have a hard time expressing it and you did an excellent job. This was beautiful.

yioeng said...

hello... that was really great... i guess that as you wrote in the short introduction before the poem about the doubts you have about love poems, love songs and all that, it's really easy to cross the line and write corny nonsense stuff... well, this poem is definitely one not of those... worth-reading

Rachel said...

Lovely words Nat, really gorgeously written.