Thursday, January 04, 2007

Sleepless Room

In my dark, sleepless room, strong light has begun to flow
through a narrow channel, which has begun to breathe life again,
slowly, in my surrender.
The words of the Spanish song were lost outside of me
in that former place, and space,
but now they flow freely through me,
carried on the tide of a warm light,
the rhythm of a drum beat gently knocking at the door of my stony heart,
where a child sat hidden in a grey room.
I can hear that it's started to rain,
soft shimmering waves against the window.

The ceiling I stare at is no longer artexed but frescoed,
as my imagination's own designs begin to uncover themselves.
Like sand shifting,
time moving, revealing bit by bit a pattern engrained in a sacred space,
lost to a world and rediscovered in my universe.
I can see her now, strongly outlined, centred in this pulsating wonder,
Gloriously attuned to her surrounding home.
Woman-child, now alive,
her face aglow as she conceives a new vista before her.
And through a beaded door she reaches through to meet his hand,
Which has become strongly outlined besides her own.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nat - this line was great "as my imagination's own designs begin to uncover themselves. Like sand shifting," I also loved - "Woman-child, now alive". This sounds like a transformative work and very introspective. I could really feel and see the gray room and the sheets of rain.
Lots of love to you!

Anonymous said...

I followed the child through her thoughts and watched the world behind her eyes. Growing up , becoming more, becoming whole.

Wonderful poem, (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Powerful poem. thanks for sharing it, and for visiting my PT.

Alessandra Cave said...

I completely relate to your words.
"lost to a world and rediscovered in my universe...her face aglow as she conceives a new vista before her." This is exactly how I feel in this point in time. You captured all the emotions beautifully. I'm going to keep this poem nearby. Thank you.

Rachel said...

Such a powerful poem Nat, and so you as well. I can read it and undertand exactly where you are. Happy new year sweetie, may the hand alongside yours only hold on tighter and become more cemented in yours.

Anonymous said...

Fab poem!
Strong imagery
It seems personal but I'm not asking, merely complimenting because it's so strong in that personal voice even though you used 3rd person

Anonymous said...

Lovely poem especially the frescoes emerging from the imagination to cover the ceiling.

Admin said...

the line of the "new vista before her" really resonates with me. i love this.

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely poem, Natalie. It just opens and flows... wonderfully, like fresh air through an open window.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful poem - the frescoes emerging is my favorite part

kevin said...

this poem is right on the edge of what I usually don't have a taste for in verse, the sort where there is a constant referal back to the poet. The "I"... But, honestly you did a really great job with it, I think it is a very wonderful poem, the imagery is solid and meaningful, bravo.